Friday, December 31, 2010

71. Unnamed

As he stepped in, he was welcomed by a fine, eloquent man.

"Charles."

"I prefer to be called Carlos."

"Pardon me. Carlos," said the well-groomed, middle-aged doctor. "Ahem," he cleared his throat. "Carlos, what brings you here today?"

"I think I need some counseling."

"What's wrong?"

"Recently, I've been unwilling to face my problems. I have baking deadlines, quotas to meet, and have been unable to get myself to work. I don't know how to approach all this work. I don't know where to start. On top of that, I see so many problems. Problem problems. Problems with starting the fire, problems with apple picking, problems in the kitchen, problems with mixing ingredients... I don't know how to fix or approach any of them. I just want to escape and not think about any of it."

The doctor maintained his gaze to the side and was silent for a few seconds. Without shifting his eyes, he answered, "Carlos... I'm sorry, Carlos. I can't give you any answers. All I can say is to keep praying. Only Jesus can fix your problems. I am just your alter ego--an alter ego of an alter ego. I have enough problems of my own.

By the way, happy new year."

No comments:

Post a Comment