Wednesday, September 22, 2010

48. Light in My Eyes

"My heart pounds, my strength fails me;
even the light has gone from my eyes." (Ps 38:10)


Ever seen people's eyes light up when they hear surprisingly good news? Or a child's eyes light up when he or she sees mommy or daddy? Light in your eyes is like energy - like a breath of life. In this glowing light, you can see hope, joy, and love.

However, the psalmist is pointing at quite the opposite. His strength has failed him. He is feeble, utterly crushed, and groans in anguish of heart. His heart pounds in pain and depression because of his sinful folly. His spiritual wounds fester. There is no peace. There is no rest. The light has gone from his eyes.

The light has gone from my eyes.

Therefore, I now pray, O Lord, please have mercy again. Even though my strength has failed me, You alone are the source of my strength. Even though I suffocate in weariness and isolation, You alone are my salvation and breath of awakened life. Return to my eyes Your light of joy. Return to my eyes Your light of hope.

"Look on me and answer, O LORD my God.
Give light to my eyes, or I will sleep in death;" (Ps 13:3)

No comments:

Post a Comment