Saturday, February 26, 2011

86. Oh, I've seen this before

(Blog post started on 1/7/11. Finally got to finish it today.)

Thank God I got a lot out of the senior class last week about David. Surprisingly, some of the stories and lessons were reinforced through recent sermons I heard.

Things that stood out to me:
1. David defeats Philistines twice
2. David spares Saul twice
3. Mephibosheth

This entry is about "David defeats Philistines twice." This was part of a Monday night service.

----

In 2 Sam 5:18,22, the Philistines came and spread out in the Valley of Rephaim twice. In both instances, David inquired of the Lord.

The first time, God told him to attack the Philistines, saying "Go, for I will surely hand the Philistines over to you."

However, in the second inquiry, God told David, "Do not go straight up, but circle around behind them and attack them in front of the balsam trees. As soon as you hear the sound of marching in the tops of the balsam trees, move quickly, because that will mean the Lord has gone out in front of you to strike the Philistine army."
Whoa, what a mouthful.

David encountered the same challenge of the Philistines spread out in the Valley of Rephaim twice. However, what is most notable is that he inquires of God even in the second time. Often, when we encounter difficulties in life (holy work, school work, work work, family...) for the first time, we may be filled with insecurities and earnestly ask God to guide us through. However, when it comes to the 2nd or 3rd time around a difficulty that seems identical to the last, the prayers aren't as urgent or earnest. In fact, sometimes we might even think, "Oh, I've seen this before."

Well, what would have happened if David thought, "Oh, I've seen this before"? If he never inquired of God again, he would have lost.

It's really hard to always quiet myself down to ask God about something I think I already know. I usually will just want to get my hands on the work and finish it. However, in preparing for the last semester's campus evangelical event, I realized so many things I thought would have just been simple repeated procedures were totally different.

Perhaps experience will expedite and smoothen some of the things we do, but in the end, what matters is if we ask God about it. What matters is if we really care about what God thinks. Does it please Him? Or am I just working away in my own little world?

When we inquire of God, it is a sign of humility. And who knows, maybe we'll get a long-winded, complicated answer for a situation in which God gave us a short answer the first time.

(Bread for Wells also mentions this story if you want to read more. Also, I probably won't be blogging about the other things I learned. Too long ago.)

No comments:

Post a Comment