Tuesday, June 8, 2010

5. Exhausting Ourselves

There was once a king who wanted to show his people what love is and how to love one another. So, he took off his royal robes and put on the dusty clothes of a slave. Even though they hated him, tried to kill him, and did not recognize him as king, he gave up his life for all of them.

"My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you. Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends" (Jn 15:12-13, emphases added)

How, then, do we love our friends by laying down our lives for them today?

"So I will very gladly spend for you everything I have and expend myself as well" (2 Cor 12:15a).

Putting others before us. Spending not only our money and time for the sheep of God, but also expending and exhausting ourselves for the least of those that belong to Jesus.

Not concrete enough?
I think a good example is a brother who drove 3+ tiring hours to help out at a church event. I asked if he would have time later to help me with a piece of writing. And he happily helped me that night, denying that he was tired. Even though I was already satisfied with the help he gave me, he still wanted to help me make my piece of writing better. Then, the next day, after a long day of events, he drove me home--which meant 4++ hours of driving.

Love: Gladly spending everything we have and exhausting ourselves for the flock.

No comments:

Post a Comment