Tuesday, June 8, 2010

7. Joy

"Why are you smiling?" asks Dad.
"I was reading something funny." I unsuccessfully try to conceal my stretched grin as I stare at my laptop screen.

Oh what joy it is to ride on a one-horse open sleigh! But, more importantly, what joy it is to read a brother's online journal filled with hilarious yet spiritual writing. This joy and excitement gives me strength to write too! O how I have neglected the importance of joy and it's role in life. Joy in life is like a mouse running on a wheel to make a light bulb glow. Joy in life is like the powdery flavoring on Cooler Ranch Dorito chips--and one must not forget the licking of the fingers after the accumulation of this powdery flavoring. Without joy, there is no light. Without joy, there is no flavor. Without joy, there is no strength.


I've encountered melancholy attempts at focusing and working with the mindset that it just needs to get done. Even holy work. I've tried to coerce my lazy corpse to read Bible passages and come up with questions and comments. But to no avail! Work remains unfinished. It is still hard to concentrate. Maybe if I rest a little, I will be able to focus later. Maybe if I exercise a little, I can get my blood flowing and concentrate. Maybe if I play some piano, I can get my mind settled. Such silly suggestions, when the answer is so simple. The source of strength is joy. And joy is the fruit of the Holy Spirit. My answer is just a kneel away.

"the joy of the LORD is your strength." (Neh 8:10b)

No comments:

Post a Comment